Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Hammers of Misfortune


I can't do a Slough Feg post without following it with a Hammers of Misfortune post. That would just be silly.

The Hammers are another band from California. Started by John Cobbet (of GWAR, Ludicra, and formerly Slough Feg) and formerly containing Mike Scalzi (of Slough Feg), this is another band that will stand out to you immediately. It's hard to put these guys into even a hybrid genre, their music is so diverse. I hear heavy, I hear NWOBHM, I hear doom, folk, even black metal in their sound. Each song is a like a composition from a different band, but there's always a noticeable sound to keep it all cohesive. The Bastard, their first album, is a more basic heavy/power work, and is also a concept album. Their next two albums throw out diversity like it was candy. The band even has three vocalists - two male and one female. You'll always be finding something new in these albums.

"Within you live my manufactured dreams
Soon we'll be repackaging your quaint, rebellious schemes..."

The Bastard (2001)
The August Engine & The Locust Years (2003 and 2006, respectively)

No comments: